Student Life

Grievance Resolution Process

SIM encourages the prompt and informal resolution of grievances as they arise, and to provide recourse for our students. As such, we have put in place procedures for student grievances to be addressed and resolved.

A student grievance may arise from any aspect of a student's educational experience at the Institute which they believe to be unfair, unjust or unreasonable. Where university or institute procedures exist for dealing with students’ discipline and academic matters (e.g. appeal against results, exclusion etc), then these will take precedence over this Grievance Resolution Process.

A student seeking resolution of a grievance should follow the steps outlined below.

Step 1:

Student should first attempt to resolve the grievance informally by discussing the issue with the person responsible for the matter (the respondent). Students uncertain about how to proceed may consult the Programme Officer for assistance. At the request of either the grievant or the respondent, the Programme Officer may be asked to arrange for and attend this meeting. In most instances, grievances can be resolved at this level.

Step 2:

If the grievance is not informally resolved between the grievant and respondent, the grievant may file a written statement describing the grievance to the Programme Manager. The written document shall describe the facts and provide evidence supporting the alleged violations, indicate what redress the grievant seeks and provide a brief history of the attempts to resolve the grievance.

A grievance must be filed in writing to the Programme Manager within 2 weeks from the date of the grievous act. This time limit may be extended upon good cause shown.

Step 3:

If feasible, all disputes should be resolved informally between the programme department and the student first. If the parties cannot resolve amicably with mutual regard to the dispute involved, the student may file an appeal in writing to the Director, Student Life, for a final resolution within 2 weeks from the date of the first ruling.

In the event that the student and SIM are unable to resolve a dispute amicably, either party can refer the dispute to Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC) or Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb) through CPE Student Services Centre for mediation.