International students wishing to pursue full-time studies in a Singapore institution are required to apply for a student’s pass. SIM GE can only provide assistance to submit your application. The granting of the student’s pass is subject to Singapore’s Immigration & Checkpoints Authority’s approval.
New applications must be submitted at least 2 to 6 months from the course commencement date. Applicants are not required to be present in Singapore while their applications are being considered. No extension of stay will be considered while the applications are being processed.
Successful applicants may enter Singapore to complete the formalities after their applications have been approved. They will be issued with a Student’s pass upon completion of formalities.
Basic documents required
- 1 copy of SOLAR+ E-Forms completed and signed by applicant.
- 2 recent passport-size photographs (colour with white background & matt/glossy finish) to be pasted on the top right-hand corner of Form 16;
- Applicant's official birth certificate (photocopy);
- Applicant's certified/notarised copies of highest educational certificates and result transcripts;
- Page(s) of applicant's travel document bearing personal particulars (photocopy);
For verification at SIM, the ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS and photocopies must be presented to the Student Recruitment Centre, Level 2, SIM HQ, Block A.
The following additional documents are required if:
- Applicant is a national from a visa-required country
- Documentary proof of financial ability in the form of bank statements/fixed deposit accounts/saving accounts (photocopy).
- One of the applicant's parents/step parents is a Singapore Citizen/Permanent Resident.
- Parent's/step parent's official marriage/divorce certificate and applicant's custody paper, where applicable (photocopy);
- Parent's/step parent's highest educational certificate (photocopy);
- Parent's/step parent's letter of employment (letter should state date of commencement of employment, designation, and salary per month) or copy of Business Registration Certificate (Instant Computer Printout) if applicant's parent/step parent is self-employed. These documents should not be issued more than 1 month ago;
- Parent's/step-parent’s monthly CPF contribution for the past 12 months;
- Parent's/step-parent’s Income Tax Assessment Notices for the past 3 years (photocopy).
- Applicant's spouse is a Singapore Citizen/Singapore Permanent Resident
- Spouse's marriage/divorce certificate, where applicable (photocopy);
- Spouse's highest educational certificates (photocopy);
- Spouse's letter of employment (letter should state date of commencement of employment, designation, and salary per month) or Business Registration Certificate (Instant Computer Printout) if applicant's spouse is self-employed. These documents should not be issued more than 1 month ago;
- Spouse's monthly CPF contribution for the past 12 months;
- Spouse's Income Tax Assessment Notices for the past 3 years (photocopy).
Note: Successful applicants are required to produce all original copies of their basic and supporting documents for verification when collecting the Student’s passes.
Documents required when collecting the Student’s Pass
- ICA In-principle Approval Letter
- SIM Offer Letter
- Original Birth Certificate
- Original Education Qualifications
- Medical Report (if required)
- Embarkation/Disembarkation Card
- Passport size photographs
Note: If documents are not in English, please provide a translated or notarised version.
Renewal of Student’s Pass
This section applies to students who are renewing their Student’s Passes to continue the same course in the same school. Please submit your application for renewal at least 4 weeks before the expiry of your current Student’s Pass.
Basic documents required
- 1 copy of SOLAR+ Renewal Forms duly completed and signed by applicant.
- Applicant's travel document, Student’s Pass card and Disembarkation/Embarkation (green) card and Birth Certificate (notarised copy) - 1 photocopy each.
Change of Schools/Courses of Study
This section applies to students who are applying for a new student’s pass to take up a different course or study in a different school.
For change of schools or courses of study, please submit your application at least 4 weeks before the commencement of the new course or at the new school.
Basic documents required
- 1 copy each of Form 16 duly completed and signed by applicant.
- Applicant's travel document, Student's Pass card, Disembarkation/Embarkation (green) card and Birth Certificate (notarised copy) – 1 photocopy each.
The normal processing time is 4-5 weeks upon receipt of the Student’s Pass application and required documents. However, some applications may take a longer time to process. The local sponsor and education institution will be notified of the outcome of the application by post.
Payment and collection
Upon approval of the Student’s Pass application, the applicant is required to collect the Student’s Pass in person at the Visitor Services Centre, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority with the required original documents.
The Student’s Pass will be issued if the conditions as stipulated in the In-Principle Approval letter are fulfilled.
The fee for the Student’s Pass is S$60. If the applicant requires a visa to enter Singapore, the applicant needs to pay an additional fee of S$30 for the visa. The fees are payable when the applicant completes the formalities to collect the Student’s Pass.
Please make payment by NETS or CashCard
In-Principle-Approval Letter (IPA)/ Social Visit Pass (SVP)
The In-Principle-Approval letter is a document to allow students to gain entry into Singapore.
Social Visit Pass (SVP) stamped onto the passport upon arrival is the official approval to stay in Singapore. Student needs to extend their Social Visit Pass upon expiry at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA).