Bachelor of Business (Event Management) (Top-up)
Developed and awarded by La Trobe University, Australia.
Founded in 1967 as Victoria’s third university, La Trobe University was ranked among the QS Top 50 Under 50 2017 as one of the world’s fastest-rising young universities. The Business School is also ranked 50th in the world for hospitality and leisure management in QS World Rankings by Subject 2017. You can find out more about La Trobe University here.
This 1.5-year advanced standing programme emphasises the application of theoretical knowledge and practical skill for the effective management of events. It also develops knowledge on sustainability issues and focus on the development of entrepreneurship which is vital for the promotion and success of special events such as professional sporting, cultural and community events.
The Bachelor of Business (Event Management) (Top-up) is a fully accredited Australian undergraduate university degree.
Future leaders in special events sector
This degree is designed to produce future leaders for the special events sector. It emphasises the application of theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed for the effective management of events. This 1.5-year advance standing degree provides you with many career options by expanding on previously obtained knowledge - encompassing areas such as accounting, marketing, business law and economics – with specialised professional studies related to the management of special events such as entrepreneurship, volunteer management, arts and community festivals, meetings, conferences and tradeshows as well as the opportunity to plan and evaluate events.
The programme is a fully accredited Australia undergraduate degree and generally qualifies graduates for consideration for admission to Masters by coursework in the following areas:
- Management Information Systems
Masters by Research is also available by application.
Students who graduate with a qualification in event management can work in varied positions. You could consider working in areas and roles such as:
- conference management
- corporate client services
- destination marketing manager
- event management
- general manager
- marketing officer
This advanced standing programme is offered full time and can be completed in 1.5 years. It comprises of 12 modules as follows:
- The Event Experience
- Hallmark Events
- Social Media and Relationship Marketing
- Event Planning*
- Tourism, Hospitality and Event Futures
- Consumer Behaviour#
- Social Marketing#
- Event Project*
- Volunteer Management*
- Destination Marketing and Management#
The modules are co-taught by both La Trobe and Singapore-based lecturers except for:
* these modules are taught by La Trobe’s lecturer
# these modules are taught by Singapore-based lecturer
This programme is taught by teaching faculty from La Trobe University, as well as local academics and practitioners in the industry.
The mode of delivery is a blended mode of lectures on campus and online consultation with La Trobe’s faculty where applicable.
For modules taught by La Trobe’s faculty, classes are conducted on an intensive mode: lectures are scheduled over 1 week consecutively. Modules delivered by SIM’s lecturers are run on a regular mode, with classes usually scheduled over 12 weeks in a semester.
Classes are typically of 3 hours duration per session with 10 to 15 minutes break, and are scheduled on weekday mornings or afternoons at SIM HQ, unless otherwise stated.
The maximum period to complete the programme is 4 years.
There will not be any refund should the student fail to complete the course within the maximum allowed period.
Students who exceed their candidature period will not be allowed to remain in the programme, unless an extension to the candidature period is approved by the University.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 40 students.
In the event that the minimum number is not met, the intake may not commence. The student shall be informed within one month before programme commencement.
This is advanced standing programme. Applicants should have relevant polytechnic diploma or other diplomas approved by La Trobe University, such as:
Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Diploma in Tourism & Resort Management
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Hotel and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Integrated Events Management
- Diploma in Tourism and Resort Management
- Diploma in Integrated Events and Project Management
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Leisure and Events Management
Other qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Language Requirements
- A score of C or better in the General Paper in the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level); or
- A grade of C or better in English Language in the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level); or
- Evidence of successful completion of studies at secondary or tertiary level with English as the language of instruction; or
- IELTS test score results of minimum of 6.0 with no individual band score less than 6.0
- Other equivalent International English qualifications as approved by La Trobe
S$20,544 payable for 12 modules, payable over 3 semesters
- Fees are valid for July 2018 intake only
- Per module fee: S$1,712
- Above fees exclude textbooks
- First semester fees payable upon acceptance of offer. Subsequent semester fees payable before commencement of semester.
- Students who repeat a failed module must pay a repeat fee of S$1,712 per module. Not all modules will be offered in every semester.
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST.
Scholarships & Awards
Not applicable, this is an advanced standing programme.
Lecturers & Teaching Modules
Average teacher-student ratio is 1:40
Assessment and exams
Assessment components vary from module to module. Students are normally assessed by continuous assessments in the form of class tests, individual and group assignments/projects, case studies, discussion and class presentations etc.
Some modules have a final examination at end of semester. The examinations are usually held from late April to mid-May for the semester commencing in January, and in early October to mid-October for the semester commencing in July. The examinations are scheduled on weekdays and Saturdays, in the morning and afternoon.
Students will have to repeat a module when failed. For modules with pre-requisites, students are required to satisfactorily meet the pre-requisites before undertaking the modules.
Full-time local students : 75%
International students : 90%
Award & Graduation
Students who successfully complete all academic requirements of the programme will be awarded the Bachelor of Business (Event Management) by La Trobe University, Australia.
A degree conferral ceremony will be held in Singapore.