Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Retail Marketing (Top-up)
Developed and awarded by University of Stirling, Scotland, this programme is supported by the Institute for Retail Studies (IRS) and its extensive retail networks to ensure relevance, practicality and current curriculum. Offered at SIM GE, this two-year programme is for qualified applicants working or intending to work in the retail industry.
University of Stirling
- 7th in the UK for graduate employability, with 96% ofour graduates in employment or further study within six months of graduating (Telegraph/HESA, 2015)
- A 5-star ranking for teaching, employability, internationalisation, facilities and inclusiveness in the QS World University Rankings 2016
- Ranked 2nd in Scotland and 4th in the UK in The Times Higher Education 150 Under 50 Table 2016, which ranks the world's top 150 universities under 50 years old
- Ranked as one of the top 150 most international universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016)
- Home to the Institute for Retail Studies, an acknowledged centre of excellence for retailing
- Stirling is Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence, and ranked 23rd in the UK for Sports Science (The Complete University Guide 2017)
The significant contribution of the retail industry cannot be understated in Singapore. Services account for the biggest sector of our economy, with wholesale and retail trade being a key segment of services. Its contribution to our total GDP stands at a whopping 18 percent (http://www.cbre.com/research-andreports/how-global-is-the-businessof-retail). This certainly signals promising job opportunities and prospects. In addition, Singapore is also the world's second most preferred destination for new brands according to the 2016 report ‘How Global is the Business of Retail?’ by CBRE.
With an increasingly competitive retail landscape, being future-ready will help both businesses and professionals like you to become future-ready in order to capitalise on emerging opportunities.
Events & Programme Briefings
Open House Programme Briefing - University of Stirling, Undergraduate Programmes
Come join us on Sat Sep 30 20:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Sep 30 20:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Sep 30 21:00:00 SGT 2017, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Knowledge, skillset to manage retail business
The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Retail Marketing programme is developed and awarded by the University of Stirling, Scotland. The programme is supported by Institute for Retail Studies (IRS) and its extensive retail networks to ensure relevance, practicality and current curriculum. Offered at SIM GE, this two-year programme is for qualified applicants working or intending to work in the retail industry. The programme aims to enable you:
- To understand the fundamental importance of retailing as a customer-focused activity and as an important service sector within the environment and society at large
- To be able to apply core retail marketing principles in the delivery of customer values
- To understand the nature of specific retailing activities and how they are integrated within a distribution channel and the wider exchange process
- To be equipped with the appropriate skills to gain and excel in decision-making positions in business and other organisations
Graduates can apply for Stirling’s taught postgraduate programmes including, Master of Science Marketing with Retail.
You will acquire a comprehensive range of analytical, problem-solving and professional skills, which are increasingly valued not just in the retail industry itself but also in other areas of commerce, education, government and non-profit making organisations. Thus, a degree in Retail Marketing can become the key to pursuing a specialised retail career or a more general management career.
Previous graduates have become successful Buyers, Brand Managers, Operations Managers, Visual Merchandisers and Store Designers.
Graduates look forward to job positions in retail and related businesses, including:
• Store management
• Retail supply chain
• Industry-level & public-sector positions relating to retail trade
Lectures – Teaching faculty from University of Stirling
Tutorials – Local tutors
Mode of Delivery
Two semesters a year. Classes conducted in the days and/or evenings with a structured curriculum of nine modules and a Dissertation.
Blended learning comprising:
Each lesson is typically 6 hours for lectures; 3 hours for tutorials.
Each module: 30 hours of lectures and 15 hours of tutorial sessions will be completed within a block of four (4) weeks
The 30 hours’ lecture sessions maybe conducted over a period of two (2) weeks.
Mode of Study
Teaching centres on lectures and tutorials, with case study analysis. Theory in lectures is complemented with site visits and presented by guest speakers from industry.
Lectures may be scheduled from 12pm to 6.30pm or 3.30pm to 10pm on given days over two weeks per module, with breaks in between sessions.
Tutorials for the same module will be conducted by local tutors over three weeks, scheduled between Monday and Friday at three hours per session. Classes are conducted over three time slots: 8.30am/ 12pm/ 3.30pm.
Modules offered at SIM:
- Branding and Communications (20 credits)
- Buying and Visual Merchandising (20 credits)
- Digital and Experiential Marketing (20 credits)
- Multi-Channel Retail Marketing (20 credits)
- Professional Development and Practice (20 credits)
- Retail Operations (20 credits)
- Strategic Management (20 credits)
- Understanding Consumers (20 credits)
- Understanding Supply Chains (20 credits)
Dissertation (60 credits)
A supervisor will be assigned to guide with the dissertation which focuses on a particular retail topic.
Exchange Semester at Stirling
Students can choose to attend one semester (3rd semester) at the University of Stirling home campus in the UK. Students are expected to complete modules equivalent of 60 credits in the UK. The experience enhances the global outlook and mind-set of students, and prepares them to work better in a global economy.
The programme fee is exclusive of air fares and accommodation for the exchange semester at Stirling.
Duration of programme: Two years
Candidature: Four years
Students who did not complete the programme by the candidature period will not be entitled to any recourse or refund.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum to commence: 50 students
If take-up rate does not meet the minimum to commence, students will be informed within one month before class starts.
All admissions (direct & non-direct entries) are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the University.
Applicants with the following diplomas may be eligible for advanced standing to the programme, including:
SIM Diploma in
- International Business
- Management Studies
- Diploma in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing
Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts
- Diploma in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing
- Diploma in Marketing
- Diploma in Business Management with Retail Management
- Diploma in Business Management with Supply Chain Management
- Diploma in Business Management with CRM
Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Diploma in Business Studies (Marketing)
- Diploma in Business Studies (Service Management)
- Diploma in Business Studies (Marketing Communications)
- Diploma in Mass Communications
- Diploma in Business Administration with Marketing Management Option
- Diploma in Business (Marketing Elective)
- Diploma in Marketing
- Diploma in Retail Management
- Diploma in Apparel Design & Merchandising
- Diploma in Retail Management; and
- 5 GCE ‘O’ level passes or equivalent (including English Language); and
- Working experience at a senior managerial position in the retail industry; and
- Evidence of other academic and/or work based learning.
Note: All admissions (direct & non-direct entries) are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the University. Other qualifications deemed relevant may be considered.
Applicants with a non-Marketing and/or non-Business related diploma may be admitted into the programme subject to the approval of the University. Applicants may be required to pass a 3-month Preparatory Course in Retail Marketing, for entry into the Bachelor's programme.
English Proficiency Requirement
Students must have acceptable level of competency in English Language and meet one of the following in addition to an approved diploma:
- Minimum C6 pass in English as First Language at GCE ‘O’ Level; or
- TOEFL 567 (paper-based) or 87 (iBT) with Reading 22, Writing 21, Listening 21, Speaking 23; or
- IELTS 6.0 overall (no band less than 5.5); or
- Successful completion of a recognized approved Diploma, where the language of instruction was English
Preparatory Course in Retail Marketing comprises:
- Introduction to Marketing
- Retail Studies
Preparatory Course in Retail Marketing: S$642.00 per module
Programme fee: S$38,520.00
Per 20-credit module fee: S$3,210.00
Per 60-credit module fee: S$9,630.00
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and exclude textbooks.
Valid for 2017 intake and fees are payable prior to commencement of the course.
Scholarships & Awards
IE Singapore: SkillsFuture Study Award for Retail Sector (Singapore citizens only)
This programme is a supported course under the SkillsFuture Study Award for Retail Sector. Applicable to Singapore citizens only.
Average teacher-student ratio 1:50
Assessments & Teaching Methods
Assessment is based on combination of coursework and exams.
End-of-semester main exam is normally in December and May. The assessment schedule is subject to change by the University.
Local students – 75%
International students – 90%
Students are allowed to progress through each semester till they satisfactorily complete the graduation requirements.
Award & Graduation
To successfully complete nine modules and a Retail Marketing Dissertation to obtain a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Retail Marketing Degree.