Master of Business Administration
Developed, fully taught and awarded by Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, UK
- Widen your perspectives on global business and management
- Tailor the programme to match your needs and interest with electives
- Evaluate and critique global business practices to determine better practices for real business application
- Discover opportunities and trends for innovation
- Devise and implement appropriate strategies for organisations
The Birmingham MBA is listed in the Top 100 of the Financial Times Global MBA Ranking 2017, with a position of 13th out of the UK Business and Management schools that made the ranking.
In recognition of the quality and rigorous standards in business and management education, Birmingham Business School is accredited by:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Association of MBAs
- European Quality Improvement System
Prospects with a work permit or employment pass can be considered for admission into this part-time programme.
To discover more about the University of Birmingham and Birmingham Business School, click here.
Events & Programme Briefings
SIM-Birmingham Programme Preview for 2018
Come join us on Sat Nov 04 18:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Nov 04 18:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Nov 04 22:00:00 SGT 2017, at Blk A, Level 4 , Seminar Room A.4.01, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Stay ahead with MBA from top global business school
Having an advanced degree in business and management is not enough to help you stay ahead in today’s competitive global environment.
Ensure that you earn your stripes from a top business school with an established international reputation.
The Birmingham MBA has been in Singapore since 1993. It is designed to provide both academic excellence and vocational relevance that are valued by employers, and has fundamentally the same syllabus as the corresponding programme offered on the university’s home campus in the UK, customised with the use of more Asian cases and institutional material.
Reasons to study the Birmingham MBA at SIM
- Fully taught by Birmingham academics
- Flexible part-time format to meet a wide variety of study needs
- Long tradition and established track record of teaching business and management
- Established international reputation of the University and the Business School
- Research led – cutting-edge research feeds directly into teaching
- International syllabus with focus on the issues of globalisation
- Dedicated academics and administrative staff who provide continuous support for your studies
Graduates may take a major step towards developing an international or strategic focus in their careers. While some will accelerate their careers with existing employers, others can create potential for change.
Major directions include jobs in
- Business analysis and development
- Corporate finance and investment
- Human resource management
- Management and strategic consulting
Opportunity for Further Study
Graduates may further their studies in the PhD and doctoral programmes in universities around the world upon completion of this programme.
Mode of Delivery
The programme covers 12 taught modules (120 credits) and a written dissertation (60 credits).
The modules in Singapore, each are taught over a week in the weekday evenings and on weekends for 3 and 8 hours respectively on SIM’s campus.
Through innovative and creative teaching methods, the modules will expose you to both operational and strategic aspects of management discipline. These methods include action learning/research, formal and live case studies, computer simulation, group activities, etc.
Participants can complete up to six modules in an academic year. Modules are offered in Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, & Nov.
All course materials are available online. Participants are expected to bring their notebooks to access materials during class.
Typical Weekly Schedule
Mon – Fri: 7:00pm to 10:15pm*
Sat – Sun: 9:00am to 5:30pm (include 1 hour lunch break)
*include 15 minutes break interval
Participants will need required to complete a 10,000 – 12,000 word dissertation often in the form of an in-company project.
Core Modules (Compulsory)
- Accounting and Finance (10 credits)
- International Business (10 credits)
- Marketing (10 credits)
- Operations Management (10 credits)
- Organisational Behaviour and Human Resource Management (10 credits)
- Strategy (10 credits)
- Dissertation (60 credits)
Electives (Choose 6)
- Advanced Leadership (10 credits)
- Business and Society (10 credits)
- Corporate Finance (10 credits)
- Directing Strategy (10 credits)
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation (10 credits)
- Implementing Strategies and Managing Change (10 credits)
- Management of Change (10 credits)
- Marketing Strategy (10 credits)
- Project Management (10 credits)
- Service Operations Management (10 credits)
The modules listed here and on the University’s website may occasionally be subject to change. For example, as you will appreciate, key members of staff may leave the University and this might necessitate a review of the modules that are offered. Where a module is no longer available, we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.
Duration & Candidature Period
The programme is designed to be completed in two years. Participants may take up to four years to complete the programme.
There will not be any refund or recourse should participants fail to complete the programme within the candidature period.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 participants
If the class fails to commence due to low take-up rate, applicants will be informed within one month before programme commencement.
- A good degree (UK 2:1 equivalent) in a relevant Business/ Management discipline with at least three years of post-qualification managerial/ supervisory work experience; or
- a good degree or equivalent with at least five years of relevant post-qualification work experience; or
- applicants with equivalent professional qualifications can be considered.
- All other qualifications and experience will be assessed on individual merits.
- A minimum of C6 pass in English as First Language at GCE ‘O’ level; or
- IELTS 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- TOEFL iBT: 88 (with 20 in Listening, 21 in Reading, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): a minimum of 59 in all four skills.
All admissions are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the Programme Director of MBA programme. Applicants may be interviewed prior to acceptance into the programme.
Applicants with a work permit or employment pass can be considered for admission into this part-time programme.
Per module payable before start date: S$2,710.66
Per module repeat fee: S$2,710.66
Per module exam re-sit fee: S$535.00
Dissertation re-submission fee: S$535.00
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and textbooks (valid for January 2018 intake).
Average teacher-participant ratio 1:40
Participants will need to complete each module fully before proceeding to the next module.
Assessments & Exams
Taught modules are assessed either by written exams, coursework*, or a combination of both. Assessments are normally held in Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, & Nov. Exams will be held on SIM's campus.
Re-assessment will be advised by the University for participants who did not fulfil the passing requirement of any taught modules.
*Coursework can take a variety of forms including essays, practical assignments, presentations and reports etc. Some coursework may be group-based.
Participants will need to complete a 10,000 – 12,000 word dissertation often in the form of an in-company project.
Note: The assessment schedule is subject to change by the University.
Award of Degree
Obtain a total of 180 credits to attain the Master of Business Administration awarded by the University of Birmingham.
A degree congregation presided by University of Birmingham is annually held in November on SIM’s campus. Alternatively, graduates can choose to attend the ceremony in July or December in the UK.