Bachelor of Business (Accountancy)
Founded in 1887, RMIT is one of Australia’s original educational institutions.
RMIT has a five-star QS ranking for excellence in higher education and is ranked 16th in the world and 3rd in Australia among universities less than 50 years old (2016-17 QS Top 50 Under 50 index)
RMIT has been in partnership with SIM since 1987, with over 36,000 SIM-RMIT graduates. www.rmit.edu.au
This programme will help students develop an understanding of the technical and social aspects of accounting. Accountancy involves the systematic recording, reporting and analysis of financial transactions, but students will discover the importance of applying such specialised business-related knowledge guided by ethical, environmental, cultural and social considerations.
Events & Programme Briefings
Open House Programme Briefing - Business Degrees at SIM Global Education - An overview of different business degrees
Come join us on Sat Sep 30 18:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Sep 30 18:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Sep 30 19:00:00 SGT 2017, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Open House Programme Briefing - RMIT University, Business Undergraduate Programmes
Come join us on Sat Sep 30 21:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Sep 30 21:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Sep 30 22:00:00 SGT 2017, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Advance your professional career in accountancy
You will acquire technical skills and other broad-based knowledge for an outstanding career in accounting and related fields.
The accountancy programme is one of RMIT’s most successful. It reflects the university's innovative and rigorous approach to accounting education that encourages flexible and independent thinking on the student's part.
The Bachelor of Business (Accountancy) is accredited by CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and is recognised by the Institute of Public Accountants, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
Graduates who successfully complete Auditing 1 and Singapore Taxation modules are eligible to apply for:
• Associate membership of and entry to CPA Program of CPA Australia
• Entry to the Chartered Accountants Program of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
• Associate membership of the Institute of Public Accountants
• Entry to the ACCA qualification program
• Entry and credit to the ICAEW ACA qualification program
Graduates are eligible to apply for entry and receive exemptions into the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) qualification programme.
Graduates may further their studies in the Masters programme.
Graduates can advance in a variety of careers, including positions in public accounting practices, supporting staff teams in auditing, taxation, management consulting, business services and receivership.
Others may be recruited into commercial and government organisations in treasury, internal audit, strategic business planning, financial reporting and management accounting roles.
Employment opportunities span a variety of roles in many different settings, including:
- reporting to senior management on the resources of an organisation
- monitoring the cash flow of an organisation
- advising businesses on strategies for increased profit
- providing financial advice
- preparing financial reports, reconciling accounts and maintaining registers and records
- evaluating business plans
- refining financial systems
- providing taxation advice
- running a small business
RMIT engages Singapore-based lecturers who demonstrated professional and academic competence. They are supported by RMIT Academic Staff who regularly visit Singapore for consulting, monitoring the programme, moderating assessment and intensive teaching sessions.
The programmes focus on both the theory obtained in the classrooms, while students develop an understanding and the confidence to be effective in practice. Beside lectures, students do case studies, problem-solving exercises, projects and self-managed learning activities.
Lectures are normally conducted by both RMIT Academic Staff and Local Lecturers.
Full-Time lectures are typically of 3 hours duration per session with 10 to 15 minutes break, which are held in the mornings or in the afternoons on weekdays at SIM Headquarters, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491.
The maximum allowed period for a student to complete the programme for full-time is
- Full programme (24 modules): 4.5 years
- Advanced 1 (16 modules): 3 years
- Advanced 2 (12 modules): 2.5 years
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 50 students. Students will be informed within 30 days before class commences.
To be awarded the Bachelor of Business (Accountancy) degree, student must complete, or exempted from completing (depending on their advanced standing status), a total of 24 modules comprising:
8 Common Core Modules
- BUSM4192 Introduction to Management
- ACCT2060 Accounting in Organisations and Society
- ECON1025 Prices and Markets
- MKTG1199 Marketing Principles
- ECON1035 Business Statistics 1
- ECON1016 Macroeconomics 1
- ISYS2059 Business Computing 1
- LAW2446 Commercial Law
8 Degree Major Modules
- ACCT2062 Financial Accounting and Analysis
- ACCT1063 Management Accounting and Business
- ACCT1054 Financial Accountability and Reporting
- ACCT1068 Cost Analysis and Applications
- LAW2464 Singapore Company Law
- ACCT1080 Financial Accounting Theory
- ACCT2119 Accounting, Behaviour and Organisations
- ACCT1029 Performance Analysis and Simulations
8 Electives, which may be made up of :
- 1 Second Business Major; OR
- 1 Business Minor and 1 Second Minor; OR
- 1 Business Minor and 4 Electives
For List of available Majors, Minors and Electives, click here
For Modules Outline, click here
Full Programme – 24 Modules
- 3 GCE 'A' Level passes or
- Minimum of 3 H2 level subjects with a pass or above
Advanced 1 – 16 Modules
- An RMIT approved non-business diploma from any of the local polytechnics
Advanced 2 – 12 Modules
- An RMIT approved relevant business diploma from SIM or any of the local polytechnics
Other qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the university.
If an applicant does not satisfy the minimum entry requirement, the applicant may be able to satisfy the requirement if they can produce evidence of other equivalent qualifications or combination of qualifications and experience as assessed by RMIT University on a case-by-case basis.
For Information on Overseas Qualifications, click here
English Language Requirements
Applicants who have not achieved a minimum of C or better in General Paper at AS/H1 Level or Knowledge and Inquiry at H2 must provide evidence of at least ONE of the following:
- IELTS (Academic) - 6.5 (no band less than 6.0);
- TOEFL - Paper-Based = 580 (TWE 4.5);
- TOEFL - internet-Based Test (iBT) = 92, with minimum of 20 in all sections;
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE(A) = 58 (no communication band less than 50);
- Cambridge English: (Advanced CAE) (up to 2014) = 58 with no less than 'borderline' in each skill;
- Cambridge English: (Advanced CAE) 2015 onwards: 176 with no less than 169 in any component;
- RMIT English Worldwide (REW) Advanced Plus or equivalent;
- Successful completion of a recognised approved Diploma qualification or higher, where the language of instruction was English.
- Have successfully studied Singapore Cambridge 'A' levels at a Singaporean high school for at least 2 years and met the academic entry criteria of 3 A/H2 level passes
- Other equivalent qualifications approved by RMIT will be considered
3 years: S$42,372 for 24 modules, payable over 6 semesters.
2 years: S$28,248 for 16 modules payable over 4 semesters
1.5 years: S$21,186 for 12 modules payable over 3 semesters
- The fees quoted for the 2018 January intakes are based on S$1,765.50 per module (inclusive of prevailing GST)
- The programme fee is exclusive of textbooks.
- Actual semester fees may vary depending upon exemptions granted and modules taken.
- First semester fees payable upon acceptance of offer. Subsequent semester fees payable before commencement of semester.
- Students who repeat a failed module must pay a repeat fee of S$1,765.50 per module (inclusive of prevailing GST). Not all modules will be offered every semester.
Scholarships & Awards
Applicants holding qualifications other than a recognised diploma from SIM GE or a Singapore local polytechnic, should apply for advanced standing at the time of application. On receipt of a credit application, RMIT will assess your previous study to determine if the body of knowledge and practice has changed significantly. If the course content has changed significantly and you have not maintained sustained practice in the field of study, your application may be rejected.
Diploma holders from SIM GE or a Singapore local polytechnic
Holders of a recognised diploma from SIM GE or a Singapore local polytechnic will be granted advanced standing in RMIT business degrees.
Depending on the degree in which a student enrols:
- Diplomas categorised as business diplomas are granted 12 exemptions.
- Diplomas categorised as non-business diplomas are granted up to 8 exemptions.
For details on diplomas groups and applicable credit: http://www1.rmit.edu.au/bus/singaporecredit
Average Teacher-Student Ratio 1:109
Smallest Class Size: 8
Largest Class Size: 309
Assessment & Exams
Assessments vary from module to module. Students are normally assessed by continuous assessments in the form of mid-term class tests, individual and group assignments and projects, case studies discussion and class presentations.
Most modules have a final examination at the end of semester. The examinations are held in late April/mid-May for semester commencing in January and in late October/mid-November for semester commencing in July. The examinations are scheduled on weekdays and Saturdays, in the morning and afternoon.
Students are usually allowed to repeat a module once only. For advanced modules with pre-requisites, students are required to satisfactorily meet the pre-requisites before undertaking the modules.
Local students: 75%.
International students: 90%.
Award & Graduation
Students will be considered as being eligible for the award of Bachelor of Business (Accountancy) when they have satisfactorily completed all academic requirements of the programme as detailed in the programme structure.