Master of Science International Business
Developed, fully taught and awarded by Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, UK
The University, founded in 1900, is one of the largest in the UK. It is a major centre of research and academic study, with eight Nobel Prize winners among staff and alumni.
The University is ranked 82th in the QS World University Rankings (2016/17). It is also one of the Top 15 universities in the UK for Business and Management Studies (The Complete University Guide Subject Table Rankings 2017) and the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016.
The one-year programme is offered through the Birmingham Business School, one of the oldest in England and offers a wide variety of programmes.
The school holds triple-crown accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
- Provide an appreciation of the global nature of business from different international perspectives
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of relevant and current international issues, in order to develop your career anywhere in the world
- Introduce and develop a breadth of knowledge in key areas of international business
- Provide the opportunity to combine theoretical knowledge and practical skills in a written dissertation
- Develop the ability to undertake rigorous, independent investigations and, the critical analysis and evaluation of research
This programme is for you if you have
- a good Bachelor’s degree;
- other qualifications and experience can be assessed on individual merits.
Events & Programme Briefings
Open House Programme Briefing - University of Birmingham, Master of Science International Business / Management
Come join us on Sat Sep 30 20:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Sep 30 20:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Sep 30 21:30:00 SGT 2017, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Mastering global business
Business today is global and no company can be confident of surviving unless it appreciates this fact and understands its implications.
For graduates wishing to develop a career in international business, a wide range of opportunities exist. Multinational corporations are very short of managers from countries other than their domestic base, who have the understanding to operate comfortably in different countries.
Small and medium-sized firms with strong niche positions are also increasingly looking for talented and well-trained staff to help them undertake international expansion. In major emerging economies such as Brazil, China and India, successful domestic firms are poised to become multinational through overseas expansion. They too welcome graduates with the appropriate knowledge with regard to conducting business internationally.
This programme draws on the talents of internationally respected scholars and highly respected teachers. Their expertise covers globalisation, the international aspects of strategic management, accounting and finance, e-commerce, international human resource management, corporate governance, innovation, marketing, organisation of MNCs, operations and procurement, and cross cultural communication.
The teaching staff also includes specialists with expertise on regional affairs.
Reasons to choose Birmingham's Master's degree at SIM
- Fully taught by Birmingham academics
- Established international reputation of University and the Business School
- Established track record of business education
- International syllabus with focus on the issues of globalisation
- Syllabus is in line with the home programme at Birmingham
Career Preparation & Career Prospects
During course of study, an annual career workshop will be conducted to prepare students in their job search.
Armed with the knowledge and skillset relevant across the globe, graduates can further their career in MNCs, government bodies and institutions that have an international, cross-border footprint. While some will accelerate their careers with existing employers, others can create potential for change.
Major directions include jobs in
- Global Business analysis and development
- Cross-border Management and strategy consulting
- Global Corporate finance and investment
- Global Human resource management
- International Marketing
Opportunity for Further Study
Graduates may further their studies in the PhD and doctoral programmes in universities around the world.
Mode of Delivery
Students have to complete 12 taught modules and a dissertation.
The modules are delivered intensively on weekdays, one at a time.
One to two modules will be delivered each month. Each lecture is about 3 to 6 hours.
Birmingham academics will fly in to deliver the same module they teach on the UK home campus, ensuring equivalent academic input for the Singapore programme.
All classes are conducted on SIM campus unless otherwise stated.
- Oct – Feb: Lectures
- Mar: Dissertation (Part I)
- Apr – Aug: Lectures
- Sep: Dissertation (Part II)
- Corporate Governance and Organisation
- Cross Cultural Management
- Global Shift
- International Business Simulation
- International Business Strategy
- International Finance and Accounting
- International Human Resource Management
- International Marketing
- International Operations and Procurement
- Issues in Management
- Knowledge and Innovation Systems
- Research Methods in International Business
- Dissertation: MSc International Business
Duration & Candidature Period
The programme is designed to be completed in a year.
There will not be any refund or recourse should students fail to complete the programme within the candidature period.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students
If the class fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed within one month before programme commencement.
Academic Qualification Requirement
- A bachelor’s degree (Upper 2nd Class Honours or equivalent); or
- all other qualifications will be assessed on individual merits
English Proficiency Requirement
- A minimum C6 pass in English as First Language at GCE ‘O’ level; or
- IELTS 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- TOEFL iBT: 88 (with no less than 20 in Listening, 21 in Reading, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): a minimum of 59 in all four skills.
These are to be submitted with the application:
- Two satisfactory references of which one must be academic-related; and
- a letter of academic interest and your objective in post-graduate study.
All admissions are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the Programme Director. Applicants may be interviewed prior to acceptance into the programme.
Programme fee: S$26,964.00, payable in two payments
Per payment payable before each semester: S$13,482.00*
*Per payment constitutes 60-credits module fee
Per 10-credits module fee: S$2,247.00
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and exclude textbooks and course material. Fees are valid for intake in 2017 and assume that the student completes the programme in one year.
IE Singapore: SkillsFuture Study Award for International Business (Singapore citizens only)
This programme is a supported course under the SkillsFuture Study Award for International Business.
The average teacher student ratio 1: 40
Students will be allowed to progress through the second semester upon passing their first semester’s assessments and/or exams.
Assessments & Exams
Taught modules contribute towards two-thirds of the programme’s total credits and the dissertation contributes one-third. They are assessed either by written exams, coursework, or a combination. Coursework can take a variety of forms including essays, practical assignments, presentations and reports etc. Some coursework may be group based. Exams will be held in SIM HQ.
Assessments and/or exams are normally held one to two weeks after end of each module. The assessment schedule is subject to change by the University.
Students will need to complete and pass a 10,000 – 12,000 word dissertation.
Award & Graduation
Complete all 12 taught modules and the dissertation to earn a total of 180 credits to attain the Master of Science International Business awarded by the University of Birmingham.
A degree congregation ceremony presided by the University of Birmingham is normally held each year in November at SIM HQ. Alternatively, graduates can choose to attend the degree congregation in July or December in the UK.