Master of Science International Business
Developed, fully taught and awarded by Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, UK
- Appreciate the global nature of business from different international perspectives
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of relevant and current international issues in order to develop your career anywhere in the world
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding in key areas of international business
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills in a written dissertation
- Develop specific transferable skills in research, data processing, critical analysis, problem solving, strategic decision making, as well as interpersonal skills
The one-year programme is offered through Birmingham Business School, and it is suitable for those who have a Bachelor’s degree, and who wish to understand business in the international context.
To discover more about the University of Birmingham and Birmingham Business School, click here.
Events & Programme Briefings
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 02:30:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 02:30:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 05:00:00 SGT 2018, at Blk A, Level 4, SR A.4.01A/B, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Parent Info Seminar (Diploma & Degree Pathways)
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 17:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 17:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 19:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - University of Birmingham, Master of Science International Business / Management
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 20:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 20:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 21:30:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Career Talk @ SIM Open House
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 22:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 22:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Learning Beyond The Classroom: Overview of Student Life in SIM
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Scholarship, Bursary & Financial Aid
Come join us on Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018, Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sun Sep 23 01:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Mastering global business
Business today is global and no company can be confident of surviving unless it appreciates this fact and understands its implications.
For graduates wishing to develop a career in international business, a wide range of opportunities exist. Multinational corporations are very short of managers from countries other than their domestic base, who have the understanding to operate comfortably in different countries.
Small and medium-sized firms with strong niche positions are also increasingly looking for talented and well-trained staff to help them undertake international expansion. In major emerging economies such as Brazil, China and India, successful domestic firms are poised to become multinational through overseas expansion. They too welcome graduates with the appropriate knowledge with regard to conducting business internationally.
This programme draws on the talents of internationally respected scholars and highly respected teachers. Their expertise covers globalisation, the international aspects of strategic management, accounting and finance, corporate governance, e-commerce, international human resource management, innovation, marketing, organisation of multinational corporations, operations and procurement, cross cultural communication, etc.
The teaching staff also includes specialists with expertise on regional affairs.
Reasons to study Birmingham's postgraduate degrees at SIM
- Degrees are of the same standings and standards as those awarded in the UK
- Long tradition and established track record of teaching business and management
- Established international reputation of the University and the Business School
- Research led – cutting-edge research feeds directly into teaching
- International syllabus with a focus on the issues of globalisation
- Dedicated staff who provide continuous support for your studies
Career Preparation & Prospects
During course of study, an annual career workshop will be conducted to prepare students in their job search.
Armed with the knowledge and skill set relevant across the globe, graduates can further their career in MNCs, government bodies and institutions that have an international, cross-border footprint. While some will accelerate their careers with existing employers, others can create potential for change.
Major directions include jobs in
- Global Business analysis and development
- Cross-border Management and strategy consulting
- Global Corporate finance and investment
- Global Human resource management
- International Marketing
The University of Birmingham is the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016.
Opportunity for Further Study
Graduates may further their studies in the PhD and doctoral programmes in universities around the world upon completion of this programme.
Mode of Delivery
The programme covers 12 taught modules (120 credits) and a written dissertation (60 credits).
Taught modules are delivered on a block teaching basis by Birmingham academics who teach the same module on the University’s home campus to ensure equivalent academic inputs to the Singapore programme.
A 10-credit module is equivalent to one week of lectures. One to two modules are expected to be delivered monthly. The modules are conducted intensively on weekdays, typically 6 hours per day on SIM’s campus. Saturday classes may occasionally be scheduled if required.
There will be workshops, consultation sessions and assigned supervisors to guide students on dissertation.
A 10-credit module is equivalent to 30 contact hours.
- Corporate Governance and Organisation (10 credits)
- Cross Cultural Management (10 credits)
- Global Shift (10 credits)
- International Business Negotiations (10 credits)*
- International Business Simulation (10 credits)**
- International Business Strategy (10 credits)
- International Finance and Accounting (10 credits)
- International Human Resource Management (10 credits)
- International Marketing (10 credits)
- International Operations and Procurement (10 credits)
- Issues in Management (10 credits)
- Knowledge and Innovation Systems (10 credits)
- Research Methods in International Business (10 credits)
- Dissertation: MSc International Business (60 credits)
- *Module is offered to the students from 2018 intake onwards.
- **Module is offered only to the students under 2017 intake.
The modules listed here and on the University’s website may occasionally be subject to change. For example, as you will appreciate, key members of staff may leave the University and this might necessitate a review of the modules that are offered. Where a module is no longer available, we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.
Duration & Candidature Period
The programme is designed to be completed in a year.
There will not be any refund or recourse should students fail to complete the programme within the candidature period.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students
If the class fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed within one month before programme commencement with the refund of application fee.
Academic Qualification Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree (Upper 2nd Class Honours or equivalent).
- All other qualifications will be assessed on individual merits
English Proficiency Requirement
- A minimum C6 pass in English as First Language at GCE ‘O’ level; or
- IELTS 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- TOEFL iBT: 88 (with no less than 20 in Listening, 21 in Reading, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): a minimum of 59 in all four skills.
These are to be submitted with the application:
- Two satisfactory references of which one must be academic-related; and
- a letter of academic interest and your objective in post-graduate study.
All admissions are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the Programme Director. Applicants may be interviewed prior to acceptance into the programme.
Students, MSc International Business, Singapore (2017 Intakes)
Total: S$27,772.92, payable in instalments
Per 10 credits fee: S$2,314.41
Each instalment is payable based on the number of taught module credits undertaken in a term.
Note: Taught modules are denoted in 10 credits each
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and are payable before term commencement (exclude textbooks). Fees are valid for 2018 intake and assume that students complete the programme in one year.
Enterprise Singapore (ESG): SkillsFuture Study Award for International Business (Singapore Citizens only)
This programme is a supported course under the SkillsFuture Study Award for International Business.
Scholarship & Awards
The average teacher student ratio 1: 45
Typically, students will need to complete each module's assessments and/or exams before progressing to the next module.
Assessments & Exams
Taught modules are assessed either by written exams, coursework*, or a combination of both. They are normally scheduled one to two weeks after a module’s completion. Exams will be held on SIM’s campus.
Re-assessment will be advised by the University for students who did not fulfil the passing requirement of any taught modules.
*Coursework can take a variety of forms including essays, practical assignments, presentations and reports etc. Some coursework may be group based.
Students will need to complete a 10,000 – 12,000 word dissertation for submission. The submission period is normally in end-August or early September.
Note: The assessment schedule is subject to change by the University.
Award & Graduation
Obtain a total of 180 credits to attain the Master of Science International Business awarded by the University of Birmingham.
A degree congregation presided by University of Birmingham is annually held in November on SIM’s campus. Alternatively, graduates can choose to attend the ceremony in July in the UK.