Master of Science in Engineering Business Management
Developed, fully taught and awarded by The University of Warwick, UK, The University of Warwick is one of the UK’s leading research universities, with an acknowledged reputation for excellence in research and teaching, for innovation and for links with business and industry.
Why choose the University of Warwick?
- Ranked 51st in QS World University Rankings 2016/2017
- A member of the prestigious Russell Group of UK universities
- Top 10 of UK league tables (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017/The Guardian University League Table 2018)
- Ranked as the first most targeted university nationally by the UK’s top 100 graduate employers by the 2017 High Fliers Research Ltd
- WMG is one of the world's leading research and education groups, with a track record of hugely successful industry collaboration
WMG, a part of the university, has strong links with companies world-wide. WMG has pioneered an international model for working with industry, commerce and public sectors – understanding a company’s strategy and working in partnership with them to find innovative solutions through multi-disciplinary research.
This programme is a fully delivered by practitioners from WMG, Europe’s largest Academia based learning institution for industry.
- Three-way participation: University + Organisation + Participant
- Combine academic excellence with industrial experience
- Developed with industry to address real-world problems
- First-hand understanding of issues facing modern business and industry
- Application-based assignments and projects
- Global experience and inputs
Benefits to Businesses:
- On the job (in-company) assignments & projects
- Approach business issue as you would with an external consultant
- Immediate application of both concepts and tools
This programme is suitable for professionals in business, engineering, IT or scientific discipline.
The Master’s programme has prepared me with new skills and knowledge to look at challenges of subject matters at a higher level in much greater depth, which in my opinion is necessary in preparing me for future career growth.
Mastery in managing engineering & technology
Designed to develop abilities to manage and lead, the programme provides an opportunity for professionals to expand their knowledge and strengthen their skill set in the engineering, manufacturing and processed-based industry.
In this programme, you get the opportunity to learn:
- Processes and technologies used by engineering and technology-based businesses
- Management and operational requirements of a business
- Use of analytical tools and techniques
- A methodical approach to problem-solving and decision-making
- How to improve internal and external operations
- How to research, analyse and evaluate complex business information
Career Prospects/Further Education
Graduates can expect to be employed as leaders of business development, manufacturing, quality assurance, human resources or customer service in a wide variety of manufacturing or service organisations, particularly where technology plays a significant part in business success.
Graduates can also explore pursuing a Doctorate with the University.
Mode of Delivery/ Session Timetable
Teaching faculty for the module component – Academics from The University of Warwick
The programme has a structured curriculum of 9 modules and a dissertation. The modules are delivered on a modular-basis over 18-months, typically in January, March, May, July, September and November.
Each modules comprises approximately 40 contact hours delivered in sessions of 3 to 9 hours usually over 1 week or 2 weekends. Participants are expected to undertake 5 to 6 modules in their first year of registration.
Typical module schedule may be either:
Mon – Fri: 6:30pm – 10pm (Wed: no class)
Sat: 9am – 6pm (2 weekends)
Sun: 1pm – 6pm (1 weekend)
Sat – Sun: 9am – 6pm (2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays)
Lectures are held in classes at SIM campus unless otherwise stated.
Course materials are accessible online. Students are recommended to access study and research materials on their personal computers for in-class coursework and dissertation.
Choose at least 2 modules from the following categories:
- Financial Analysis and Control Systems
- Business Strategy and Strategic Management
- International Joint Ventures
- Leading Change
- Legal Aspects of Global Business
- Organisations, People and Performance
Choose at least 5 modules from the following categories:
- Lean Principles and Applications
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Product Design and Development Management
- Programme and Project Strategy
- Project Planning, Management and Control
- Procurement and Inventory Management
- Quality Management and Techniques
- Supply Chain Management
- Storage and Warehousing Techniques
- Transport Techniques and Management
- Managing the Multi-Project/Programme Environment
- Materials Engineering
- Manufacturing Process Technology
The remaining 2 modules may be from any category on the above.
Participants may choose from the modules offered at SIM during the candidature period.
The modules offered will be at the discretion of The University of Warwick and SIM.
Participants will work on a genuine business issue for their MSc dissertation.
Participants will complete the dissertation in accordance with the University guidelines and standards under the guidance by industrialists and academic supervisors. The dissertation will be moderated by a senior member of the University on completion.
All dissertation consultation must be done during candidature period.
On completion, participants are required to conduct an oral presentation on their dissertation topic.
Duration of Programme/Candidature Period
2 years part-time programme
Student can take up to 3 years to complete the programme.
Students who have not completed the programme requirements in the candidature period will not be entitled to any recourse or refund.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students
If the programme fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed within 1 month before class commencement.
Qualifications in business, engineering, IT or scientific discipline. Candidates with good honours degrees in other disciplines who can show proof of satisfactory numeracy may also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree (2nd Class Honours degree or its equivalent)
- Ordinary degree with two years of relevant post-qualification industrial experience in the engineering or logistics industry
- Advanced Diploma and five years of relevant post-qualification industrial experience or logistics industry
- Candidates with other qualifications can be assessed on individual merits
English Proficiency Requirement
- Applicants whose entry qualification was attained in Singapore with at least three years of study in an English medium institution is exempted from English Proficiency Requirement.
- IELTS 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) with a minimum score of 62 (with at least 59 in each of the 4 component scores)
- Two satisfactory academic/industrial reference letters
- A letter of academic interest and your objectives in undertaking postgraduate study
An interview by the Programme Director and/or Programme Faculty may be required as part of the admission process. Applicants not meeting the formal academic requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants who have a work permit or employment pass can be considered for admission.
Programme fee: S$32,100.00, payable on a per-module basis
Per payment: S$3,210.00
Repeat fee per module: S$3,210.00
All fees quoted are inclusive of 7% GST, but exclude textbooks and course material. Fees are valid for part-time from 2017 till September 2018 intake.
The average teacher student ratio 1: 35
Assessment & Exams
Participants are assessed by (i) assignments/projects (ii) dissertation (iii) continuous assessment such as presentations
The coursework and MSc dissertation components are worth 50% of the programme's total credits.
Participants will be allowed to progress through each module upon the completion of its coursework.
Award & Graduation
Complete all 9 modules and a MSc dissertation, and meet the programme’s conferral requirements to attain the Master of Science in Engineering Business Management degree.
For more comprehensive information on the programme, please download a copy of its brochure.