Postgraduate Award in Engineering Business Management
Developed, fully taught and awarded by the University of Warwick, UK.
The University of Warwick is one of the UK’s leading research universities, with an acknowledged reputation for excellence in research and teaching, for innovation and for links with business and industry.
Why choose the University of Warwick?
- Ranked 54th in QS World University Rankings 2019
- A member of the prestigious Russell Group of UK universities
- Top 10 of UK league tables (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018/The Guardian University League Table 2018)
- Ranked as the third-most targeted university among the UK’s top graduate employers in 2017-2018 (Graduate Market Survey 2018, High Fliers Research)
- WMG is one of the world's leading research and education groups, with a track record of hugely successful industry collaboration
WMG, a part of the university, has strong links with companies world-wide. WMG has pioneered an international model for working with industry, commerce and public sectors – understanding a company’s strategy and working in partnership with them to find innovative solutions through multi-disciplinary research.
This programme is delivered by the University of Warwick's faculty.
- Three-way participation: University + Organisation + Participant
- Combine academic excellence with industrial experience
- Developed with industry to address real-world problems
- First-hand understanding of issues facing modern business and industry
- Application-based assignments and projects
- Global experience and inputs
Benefits to Businesses:
- On the job (in-company) assignments & projects
- Approach business issue as you would with an external consultant
- Immediate application of both concepts and tools
This programme is suitable for professionals in business, engineering, IT or scientific discipline.
Mastery in managing engineering & technology
Designed to develop abilities to manage and lead, the programme provides an opportunity for professionals to expand their knowledge and strengthen their skill set in the engineering, manufacturing and processed-based industry.
In this programme, you get the opportunity to learn:
- Processes and technologies used by engineering and technology-based businesses
- Management and operational requirements of a business
- Use of analytical tools and techniques
- A methodical approach to problem-solving and decision-making
- How to improve internal and external operations
- How to research, analyse and evaluate complex business information
Career Prospects/Further Education
Graduates can expect to be employed as leaders of manufacturing, business development, quality assurance, human resources or customer service in a wide variety of manufacturing or service organisations, particularly where technology plays a significant part in business success.
Graduates can also apply credits obtained from the Postgraduate Award and pursue a Master of Science degree with the University.
Mode of Delivery/Session Timetable
Teaching faculty – Academics from the University of Warwick
The programme has a structured curriculum of 3 modules. The modules are delivered on a modular-basis over 12 months.
Each modules comprises approximately 40 contact hours delivered in sessions of 3 to 9 hours usually over 1 week or 2 weekends.
Typical module schedule may be either:
Mon – Fri: 6:30pm – 10pm (Wed: no class)
Sat: 9am – 6pm (2 weekends)
Sun: 1pm – 6pm (1 weekend)
Sat – Sun: 9am – 6pm (2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays)
Lectures are held in classes at SIM campus unless otherwise stated.
Course materials are accessible online. Students are recommended to access study and research materials on their personal computers for in-class coursework.
Participants are to complete three modules with at least one module from Business, at least one module from Operations or Technology, and one module from any category below within the programme.
- Business Strategy and Strategic Management
- Financial Analysis and Control Systems
- International Joint Ventures
- Leading Change
- Legal Aspects of Global Business
- Organisations, People and Performance
- Lean Principles and Application
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Procurement and Inventory Management
- Product Design and Development Management
- Programme and Project Strategy
- Project Planning, Management and Control
- Quality Management and Techniques
- Storage and Warehousing Techniques
- Transport Techniques and Management
- Managing the Multi-Project/Programme Environment
- Manufacturing Process Technology
- Materials Engineering
Participants may choose from the modules offered at SIM during the candidature period.
The modules offered will be at the discretion of the University of Warwick and SIM.
Duration of Programme/Candidature Period
1 year part-time programme
Students who have not completed the programme requirements in the candidature period will not be entitled to any recourse or refund.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 20 students
If the programme fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed within 1 month before class commencement.
Qualifications in business, engineering, IT or scientific discipline. Candidates with good honours degrees in other disciplines who can show proof of satisfactory numeracy may also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced Diploma and two years of relevant post-qualification industrial experience in the engineering, manufacturing or logistics industry
- Diploma and five years of relevant post-qualification industrial experience in the engineering, manufacturing or logistics industry
- Company-sponsored candidates who do not satisfy the qualifications listed above may be considered if he possesses at least five years of relevant work experience
English Proficiency Requirement
- Applicants whose entry qualification was attained in Singapore with at least three years of study in an English medium institution is exempted from English Proficiency Requirement.
- IELTS 6.5 overall (with no less than 6.0 in any band); or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) with a minimum score of 62 (with at least 59 in each of the four component scores)
- TOEFL 92 (IBT) with broadly consistent scores in each of the four elements in the test
These are required to be submitted with the application:
- Two satisfactory academic/industrial reference letters
- A letter of academic interest and your objectives in undertaking postgraduate study
An interview by the Programme Director and/or Programme Faculty may be required as part of the admission process. Applicants not meeting the formal academic requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants with a work permit or employment pass can be considered for admission.
Programme fee: S$10,111.50 payable on a per-module basis
*Per Module Fee: S$3,370.50
*Per Module Fee also applies to repeat fee (subject to approval).
All fees quoted are inclusive of 7% GST, but exclude textbooks and course material. Fees are valid for March 2019 intake.
The average teacher student ratio 1: 35
Assessment & Exams
Participants are assessed by (i) assignments/projects (ii) continuous assessment such as presentations.
Participants will be allowed to progress through each module upon the completion of its coursework.
Award & Graduation
Fulfill the programme’s attendance requirement and complete all 3 modules’ coursework to attain the Postgraduate Award in Engineering Business Management.
For more comprehensive information on the programme, please download a copy of its brochure.