Diploma in Management Studies
Developed and awarded by the Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore
This programme offers broad-based training in crucial management skills and knowledge, including Accountancy, Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Operations Management, Information Technology, Law, Communications and Economics
Events & Programme Briefings
Come join us on Sat Oct 27 17:30:00 SGT 2018, Sat Oct 27 17:30:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Oct 27 21:00:00 SGT 2018, at Blk D, Level 1 (outside Performing Arts Theatre), SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Come join us on Sat Nov 10 18:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Nov 10 18:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Nov 10 21:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Understanding business fundamentals
Since 1973, the DMS programme has been the pathway for many successful, resourceful business people and professionals who otherwise were unable to acquire academic credentials.
The programme provides the prerequisites and productive learning in vital management knowledge and skills required in an entrepreneurial setting.
Students gain a good understanding of business fundamentals, the critical thinking process and people management skills.
With the Diploma, students can pursue a full business degree programme.
Besides managing an SME, students may consider jobs in:
- Business Development
- Public Services
Lecturers are both academic and industry-based professionals with extensive work experience and practical domain knowledge.
The course is 100% face-to-face lecture-based learning. Coursework includes attendance at lectures, discussions of case studies, tests, presentations, and completion of group and individually-written assignments.
Students are required to access the Internet for research and assignments in their own time. Besides attending lectures, students also participate in computer lab sessions.
Classes and workshops are available on learning study skills, academic writing and presentation.
Remedial classes are provided to students who are required to take supplementary exams.
- Virtual Learning Environment
- Academic materials such as module outlines, e-books and learning apps, past exam papers, reading lists and handbooks on good study strategies.
- Business Communication
- Business Mathematics
- English for Business
Broad Business Modules
- Business Finance
- Business Law
- Business Statistics
- Financial Accounting
- Information Systems for Business
- Managerial Accounting
- Managing Human Resources
- Managing People & Organisations
- Operations Management
- Principles of Marketing
Please click here for the module outlines.
Contact hours: 42 hours per module, total hours: 630. Each lesson: 3 hours.
Four intakes a year, each covering 15 months. Please click here for the calendar.
- January intake: early Jan to end-Mar (following year)
- April intake: early Apr to end-Jun (following year)
- July intake: early Jul to end-Sep (following year)
- October intake: early Oct to end-Dec (following year)
Maximum allowed period to complete the 15-month programme is 30 months or 2.5 years. Students may re-apply for the programme if they did not complete the course in the maximum allowed period.
No refund or recourse should the student fail to complete in the maximum period.
SIM reserves the right to recommend and withdraw a student who cannot cope with the demands of the programme, especially when the student's pass has expired.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students. Students will be informed within 30 days before class commences.
- At least 1 GCE 'A' level or 1 H2 level pass;
- SIM Management Foundation Studies (MFS) qualification*;
- For Diploma in Accounting and Diploma in Banking and Finance, applicants must obtain a credit pass (Grade 1 to 6) in GCE 'O' level Mathematics;
- Other qualifications will be assessed based on the equivalence to GCE 'A' level examinations.
*Applicants who do not meet the direct academic entry requirement are required to complete Management Foundation Studies (MFS) programme. Click here for details of the MFS programme.
International Applicants (full-time)
International applicants will be assessed on the qualification’s equivalent to the GCE ‘A’ level examinations.
Refer to details on qualifications listed in the International Student Prospectus. Alternatively, you may click here for the list of overseas qualifications.
English Language Requirement
- GCE 'O' level credit pass (Grade 1 to 6) in English (as a first language); or
- IELTS with an overall score of at least 5.5; or
- TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based) plus 4 in the Test of Written English (TWE) or 79 (iBT); or
- SAT1 score of at least 550 (critical reading and writing); or
- Pearson Test score of at least 42/100; or
- An equivalent English language qualification.
Applicants who do not meet the English language requirement would need to undergo the Certificate in English Language (CEL) programme before enrolment in the Diploma programme.
The duration of the CEL programme depends on the applicant’s English language proficiency level.
Applicants can sit for an English Placement Test conducted by SIM to determine their English language proficiency level. Click here for details of the CEL programme
- IELTS or TOEFL or SAT1 or Pearson test scores must be less than two years at point of enrolment.
- The SIM English Placement Test results will be valid for one year from the date of the test.
Total: S$11,770 (payable over 5 terms before class commences)
Per module: S$784.66
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST.
All Singaporeans aged 25 and above can use their $500 SkillsFuture Credit from the government to pay for a wide range of approved skills-related courses. Visit the SkillsFuture Credit website (www.skillsfuture.sg/credit) to choose from the courses available on the SkillsFuture Credit course directory.
Average teacher-student ratio 1:58
Assessment and Exams
Each module is assessed through continuous assessment and end-of-term exam.
Continuous assessment includes case studies, class tests, discussions, presentations, group and individual assignments.
To attain a pass for each module, students must achieve overall minimum GPA of 1.0 (grade 'D').
75% attendance to sit for exams.
Student's Pass holders: at least 90% attendance in any month of the course (as required by the Singapore Immigration Checkpoint Authority).
Students must successfully complete and pass all 15 modules. Graduating students will be awarded with a Diploma from SIM.