Diploma in Banking and Finance
This programme is developed and awarded by the Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore.
This 18-month programme is for you, if you intend to pursue a career in banking & finance, or be exposed to the financial trading environment
Understanding banking & finance fundamentals
- A good foundation in concepts and practice in banking and finance
- Accreditation towards pursuing a Bachelor programme in this field
With the Diploma, you can apply for advanced standing to the following:
- BSc (Honours) programme from the University of London, UK
- BSc (Honours) programme from the University of Birmingham, UK
- BSc (Honours) programme from the University of Manchester, UK
- BSc (Honours) in Marketing programme from the University of Southampton, UK
- Bachelor of Business programme from RMIT University, Australia
Graduates may work in:
- Financial services
- Investment management
- Management consultancy
Lecturers are both academic and industry-based professionals with extensive work experience and knowledge in their domain.
The course is 100% face-to-face lecture-based learning. Coursework includes attendance at lectures, discussions of case studies, tests, presentations, and completion of group and individually-written assignments.
Classes and workshops are available on study skills, academic writing and presentation.
Remedial classes are provided to students who are required to take supplementary exams.
Include module outlines, reading lists and handbooks on study strategies
18-month full-time programme (3 semesters) of 15 modules:
- Business Accounting
- Business Management and Communications
- Business Mathematics
- Business Statistics
- Credit Risk Analysis and Management
- Economics for Managers
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Financial Trading
- Information Systems for Business
- Managing Business Finance
- Managing Human Resources
- Negotiation and Inter-cultural Management
- Principles of Marketing
- Professional Self-Management
Contact hours: 42 hr per module, total: 630 hrs
3 semesters. Each semester is a period of six months.
Lectures at least 5 times a week (Mon-Fri)
Each lesson: 3 hr
Click here for programme schedule
Click here for the module outline
2 intakes a year in April & October, each covering 18 months.
April intake: early April to end-September (following year)
October intake: early October to end-March (year after next)
Maximum allowed period to complete the 18-month programme is 36 months or 3 years.
No refund or recourse should the student fail to complete in the maximum period.
SIM reserves the right to recommend and withdraw a student who cannot cope with the demands of the programme, especially when the student’s pass has expired.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size: 25 students.Students will be informed within 30 days before class commences.
Five GCE 'O' level passes (Grade 1 to 6) including English as a first language and Mathematics.
Other qualifications will be assessed based on the equivalence to GCE ‘O’ level examinations.
Applicants who do not meet the academic requirements might be recommended to undergo a 6-month Management Foundation Studies (MFS) programme. Click here for details of the MFS programme.
For international applicants (full-time programme only)
International applicants will be assessed on the qualification's equivalent to the GCE 'O' level exam.
Refer to the details on qualifications listed in the International Student Prospectus. Alternatively, you may click here for the list of overseas qualifications.
English Language Requirement
To have attained minimum score or qualification in one of the following:
- GCE ‘O’ level pass in English (as first language); or
- IELTS with overall score of at least 5.5; or
- TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based) and 4 in the Test of Written English (TWE) or 79 (iBT); or
- SAT1 score of at least 550 (critical reading and writing); or
- Pearson Test score of at least 49/100; or
- An equivalent English language qualification.
Applicants who do not meet the English language requirement can enrol in the SIM Certificate in English Language Upper-Intermediate (CEL Level 5) programme before starting the Diploma programme.
- Duration of the CEL programme depends on the applicant’s English language proficiency.
- Applicants may sit for an English Placement Test conducted by SIM to determine their English language proficiency level. Click here for details of CEL programme.
- IELTS or TOEFL or SAT1 or Pearson test scores must be less than two years at point of enrolment
- The SIM English Placement Test results is valid for 1 year from date of test
S$11,770 (For 2016 Intakes) - payable over 3 semesters before class starts
Per module: S$784.66
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST
Average teacher-student ratio 1:80
Assessment & Exams
Continuous assessment and end-of-semester exam
Continuous assessments include case studies, class tests, discussions, presentations, group and individual assignments.
To attain a pass for each module, students must achieve overall minimum GPA of 1.0 (grade D).
Local students: 75%
International students: at least 90% attendance in any month of the course (as required by the Singapore Immigration Checkpoints Authority).
Graduating students who passed all modules will be issued a transcript and awarded with a Diploma certificate from SIM upon graduation.